Website Migration Guides
A simple free resource for website migration
A massive thank you to the following people who have donated this month:
Sadly no one has helped me this month :(
Automated plugin backup tool for moodle
What is it and what does it do?
When you are upgrading moodle, you need to locate and copy any non-default plugins you have added to your moodle site (e.g. a Theme or Analylitcs plugin). This can be a laborious task if you have a lot of plugins and they are stored in various locations.
This plugin removes the need to manually locate and copy all of the additional plugins you have installed onto your site. With one click, it will locate the folders where the plugins are installed and make a direct copy of them into a folder called WMGBackup. You can then copy the contents of this folder into your new moodle install.
This Plugin will:
- Show you all your non-default plugins
- Show the plugin's model version.
- Link to the moodle's plugin section on moodle.org (so you can check if it supports the upgraded version).
- Can make a backup of the plugin (including the file tree).
- Can provide all the plugins backed up in a zip which you can then drop straight into your new moodle install..
For plugins that have more than one folder, the plugin will be repeated.
As always, we suggest manually checking plugin directories are correct and that none have been missed. However, the below should speed up the folder detection process.
- This plugin is distributed in the hope that it will help you when upgrading moodle. It comes WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
- Do not leave this plugin on your hosting as it may be a security risk. Use it only to collect the required information and back up the plugin folders. As such treat this plugin as if it is open to security exploits.
- Do not copy it to your new moodle install.
- This plugin was created to function on a linux platform.
- Please make sure that you have made a complete tested backup of your moodle site before proceeding.
- This plugin was designed to help you when upgrading moodle. I can not guarantee everything will be correct or even if it will work so always check everything manually.
- Always test this plugin on a copy of your moodle site (e.g. a non live version).
Download the plugin
To download the plugin, click the button below
Please note, this plugin is still in development and as such please do not install it on a live site. Only install it on a copy of your site.
Download Beta Version 0.1.1
The plugin will show up under Site Administration > Plugins > WMG Admin
Plugin can also be found on GitHub at
If this guide has helped you or if you feel it could be improved, please let us know in the comments below.
Hi, did this site help you?
I'm John and this little website is my online side project. It isn't sponsored by any company (despite their best efforts!) and I rely solely on donations to pay the hosting fees.
If this site has helped you please consider making a small donation using the link at the top of the page.
Thanks again and happy surfing.